Tuesday, June 7, 2016




"She crouched on the ledge of a dune, ready to catch a glimpse of the last moments of the dying sun before the night arose."   

This is the first line in my story - "Nights Arose" 

     I have a particular reason for wanting it to start out this way.
First is to connect the name of the story to the action and the mood of the story. Another reason is to be sure everyone knew how I wanted the name Arose to be pronounced.  Some people were unsure and would read it aloud as A-rose. Which is not right.

The time where the story is sunset, but for me saying the "sun is setting" is  played out. I much rather think of it as "the night is rising," or the night arose. More creative, I dare say.

Although it had been suggested to me, I change her name to "Rose" I did not.  The reason for sticking to her original name was for the sake of my muse.  Every time I changed it I would hear "That is NOT my name." And if you know anything about my MC, you would understand why I wouldn't want to piss her off.

Other than that I am as all writers do- trying to catch the audience's attention and imagination. It's called "the hook."
I'm trying to get the reader interested in why she is where she is, what she does and think, getting them to move on to the next lines which read.

"No matter how drunk she got in the pub that night, they would remain. He would hunt her down, ready to pounce like a feral animal on his prey." 

   Are you hooked yet? I hope so.



Yours,
Andrea

4 comments: